Lady C a friend and follower sent me a request for lemon bread and pound cake after reading my previous blog on quick breads. I have few to share that I have tweaked over the years. *Pound Cakes and Quick/Tea Breads are so much fun, you can take a basic Recipe and let your creativity flow and make it your own to share.
Lemon Delight Pound Cake: Bake at 325 F or 165 C for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- 2 1/2 cups of Bread Flour ( you can use all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 Cups of Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup of Fresh Lemon Juice ( Note you can use any kind of citrus Juice or Nectar)
- 3/4 cup of Safflower oil ( you can sub any cooking oil you choose)
- 2 teaspoons of Lemon zest
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
In a large bowl add all your ingredients mix on low-speed until incorporated. Scape the sides of the bowl and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter into 12 cup fluted pan that is well-greased and floured. I prefer to use Bakers Joy but feel free to use your favorite method. Bake for the time mentioned above. Remove from oven cool for 10 minutes and then invert your pound cake onto a platter or cooling rack.
* Once cool top the cake with a simple glaze of Powder Sugar and Vanilla or any flavoring of your choice*
Glaze: 1/2 to 1 cup of Powder Sugar and 1 to 2 Tablespoons of your flavoring of choice. You want a nice stream to come off your spoon as your drizzle your glaze over the cake.
Lemon Tea Bread: Bake at 325 F or 165 C for 50-55 minutes or toothpick comes clean yields 2 9×5 loaf pand
- 2 large Lemons (Zest and Juiced)
- 2 Tablespoons of your Lemon Juice ( set the remaining aside for your glaze)
- zest from your 2 Lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups of Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted Butter (soften)
- 1 8 oz package Cream Cheese (Soften)
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 4 Large Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/2 powder sugar ( for your glaze after the bread is baked)
- Preheat your oven to the above suggested temp and spray or butter and flour your 2 loaf pans
- Grate the zest of the lemons and squeeze out the lemon Juice, set aside your zest and 2 tablespoons of juice for your batter, reserve the remaining juice for your glaze
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
In a large bowl beat together with electric mixer, your butter, vanilla extract, sugar, and lemon zest. Beat until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time beat well after each is added. Beat in the milk. On low-speed add your dry ingredients. Beat just until batter is combined. “DO NOT OVER BEAT” Stir in your poppy seeds and 2 Tablespoons of Lemon juice. Divide your batter into your two prepared pans and bake. Cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove from pans pierce tops all over with a toothpick. (lemon glaze, combine your powder sugar and reserved lemon juice) Brush your lemon glaze all over the loaves. You want your loaves to absorb all of the glaze. Cool completely before serving
Not your Everyday Cream Cheese Pound Cake:
Bake 1 hour 30 minutes in a prepared 10 inch fluted pan or 2 loaf pan
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 2 cups of bread flour (you can use all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese (soften)
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (soften)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 6 Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat your oven to the above suggested temp and prepare your desired pans with baking spray or butter and flour
- Sift together all your dry ingredients and set aside
Next with an electric mixer on medium speed cream together your butter, cream cheese and sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs two at a time beat well after each addition. Scrap your bowl down add all your dry ingredients and vanilla and mix on low-speed, mix until combined. “DO NOT OVER MIX” Place your batter in your prepared 10-inch fluted pan or divide evenly into 2 prepared loaf pans. Bake for the directed time. Check your pound in an hour use the toothpick method, if it comes out clean your done, if not bake remaining time. Let your pound cake cool for 10 minutes remove from pan cool completely. Serve with your favorite glaze or toppings.
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do and I look forward to more questions and request!
Until next time, KK